[/caption] Making a brew pot is pretty simple as long as you have the right tools and hardware. After reading this article, you will understand the basics well enough to get started on your craft beer own project.
Brew Pot Items
- 3 Piece Stainless Steel Ball Valve 1/2" NPT
- Stainless Steel Barb 1/2" NPT
- Step bit
- Stainless steel pot
- Dab of dish-washing soap, or lubricant for cutting hole into pot easier.
- Insert the step bit into the drill and secure.
- Put a small dab of dish-washing soap or lubricant on the area that you would like to install the Valve/bulkhead. This should typically be at least 1 1/2" inch or more from the bottom of the pot or keg conversion. This spot will depend on your exact setup, you may have a special dip tube on the other end to get as much brew out as you can.
- Begin to drill into the pot with the step bit, if it won't drill through by itself then you may punch a whole first to get it started.
- Continue to drill down to each step until you get to the 7/8th mark, with this setup that is. On our step bit that was the bottom step.
- Clean the brew pot, remove any metal shavings.
- Insert bulk head and tighten it down on both sides.
- Attach the ball valve and barb.
After completing the above instructions you have many options for your brew pot. You may use many different types of valves for your pot. You may use a coupler on the inside of the pot with a mesh or wire filter, a dip tube, false bottom and so on. We still need to get a dip tube ourselves or go with a filter or elbow. You may also choose to weld your valve to the pot if you like, we choose the weld-less option.